Recipe: Easy Cheesy Crustless Quiche
Crustless quiche is the more manageable cousin of a full-on quiche recipe. This easy version packs plenty of breakfast veggies (think onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach) and cheese into a portable egg cup. You can make a batch of these ahead of time and reheat for busy mornings.
Easy Cheesy Crustless Quiche
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup or 110 grams)
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium (120 grams) tomato, diced
- 2 cups (60 grams) baby spinach
- 10 large (50 grams each) whole eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) 2% milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces (about 1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use cooking oil to grease a nonstick muffin pan and set aside.
While oven is preheating, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until soft; add bell peppers, tomato and salt, and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes. If using sausage, then add along with bell peppers and tomatoes and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes.
Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute more. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, flour, cheese, salt and pepper until well combined.
Portion out the vegetable (and sausage) mixture into 12 muffin wells. Pour the egg mixture on top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until firm.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 2 quiches
Per serving: Calories: 237; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 367mg; Sodium: 413mg; Carbohydrate: 8g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 15g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 222mg; Iron: 12%; Vitamin A: 30%; Vitamin C: 22%; Calcium: 16%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add in 6 ounces of chicken sausage, finely minced, before baking (see instructions above) to up calories, fat, protein and flavor. (Per serving: Calories: 292; Total Fat: 18g; Carbohydrate: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 21g)
- Serve with 1 cup of baby greens for more vitamins and minerals. (Per serving: Calories: 287; Total Fat: 15g; Carbohydrate: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 15g)
- Serve the quiches with 1 whole wheat English muffin for more calories, carbs and fiber. This makes a quick on-the-go breakfast. (Per serving: Calories: 371; Total Fat: 16g; Carbohydrate: 35g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 21g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis
Crustless quiche is the more manageable cousin of a full-on quiche recipe. This easy version packs plenty of breakfast veggies (think onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach) and cheese into a portable egg cup. You can make a batch of these ahead of time and reheat for busy mornings. Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis
MyFitnessPal’s RecipesUnder ArmourSeptember 26, 2017